Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
The Graduate PLUS Loan allows a graduate student to borrow any amount up to the student’s cost of attendance minus all financial aid the student may receive for the enrollment period. The interest rate is a fixed rate of 6.31% for any loans disbursed before July 1, 2017, and 7.0% for any loans disbursed on or after July 1, 2017, and before July 1, 2018. The PLUS loans have a processing fee of 4.272% before October 1, 2016, and 4.276% on or after October 1, 2016, and before October 1, 2017. Repayment begins within 60 days after the final disbursement for the loan period or six months after the student ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Interest begins accruing at the time of the first disbursement.
Steps to Receive a Graduate PLUS Direct Loan
- Complete the FAFSA.
- Log into StudentLoan.gov with your FSA ID.
- Select "Apply for Direct PLUS Loan" then choose "Direct PLUS Loan Application for
Graduate/Professional Students" to complete an application at StudentLoans.gov.
- Note: this step must be completed each year (or on a term by term basis).
- Complete the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note if the application is approved.
- Note: under most circumstances, the MPN only needs to be completed once every 10 years.
- Complete Graduate PLUS Entrance Counseling if the application is approved.
- Once our office has received and processed your loan approval, you can view the award in your Student Center.
Note: Credit checks and loan approval are only valid for 90 days. Please do not apply for a PLUS loan sooner than 75 days before the start of classes. If the loan approval expires, the loan funds will not disburse.