Work-Study for Students
Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federal program which offers eligible students part-time job opportunities to work up to twenty hours per week and earn a paycheck twice per month up to the awarded amount in UAConnect during the academic year.
FWS funds are limited. Therefore, priority consideration will be given to students who complete your FAFSA in a timely manner each year, indicate interest in the FWS program on the FAFSA, demonstrate a high level of financial need as determined by the FAFSA results, and enrolled in at least 6 hours of coursework per semester.
How to Find a Work-Study Job
For students who have completed the FAFSA and want to be employed under the Federal Work Study Program:
- Ensure Federal Work Study is awarded as part of your financial aid package by selecting the Financial Aid tile in your UAConnect Student Homepage, clicking the Accept/Decline Awards link, and then choosing the appropriate year. If you see Federal Work Study listed with an amount to the right, continue to step 2. If you do not see Federal Work Study listed on that page, please contact the Financial Aid Office to inquire about your eligibility.
- Review the Work Study job listings.
- Click on job numbers to view a job description and apply.
- Most employers will prefer you to email the supervisor listed on the listing but some do prefer other forms of communication. Those details are typically listed in the job description.
- Employers will contact applicants they wish to interview.
- Discuss the details of employment with the supervisor. Only one work study job assignment
is permitted per semester.
- Job responsibilities
- Number of hours per week (20 hours per week max)
- Work and class schedule
- Hourly wage rate
- Complete the following steps (all required items must be completed before you can
- On-campus: The supervisor will request a Job Assignment Form online and complete the necessary HR paperwork with you. Once the Job Assignment is approved by the Financial Aid Office, you're ready to work.
- Off-campus: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions to complete the required employment forms. A Job Assignment Form and Wage Rate Form will be given to you to take to your supervisor for completion. Once the Job Assignment Form and Wage Rate Form are completed and returned to our office, you are ready to work.
*If you choose not to use your Federal Work Study award, please log into UAConnect and click on the Financial Aid tile from your Student Homepage. Click on the Accept/Decline Awards link and check the box in the Decline column next to Federal Work Study. This allows our office to give funding to another student who wants Federal Work Study.
For students who have not been awarded Federal Work Study and are interested in working on campus, please visit Applying for Student Employment on the University of Arkansas HR website or the Career Development Center website for other opportunities.