Independent Students

You're an independent student  if at least one of the following applies to you:

  • You will be at least 24 before January 1 of the school year for which you will receive aid
  • You are married at the time of application
  • You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program
  • You have a legal dependent other than a spouse and you provide over one-half of his/her support
  • You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18)
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces

If you claim to be an independent student, you may be asked to submit proof before you can receive any federal student aid. If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent even though none of the above criteria apply to you, talk to your counselor. Your counselor may be able to change your status if appropriate documentation can be provided and you have circumstances that warrant a change. The decision to override a student's dependency status is based on the judgment of the counselor in the Financial Aid Office.