Do any of these apply to you?
- You will be at least 24 before January 1 of the school year for which you will receive aid
- You are married at the time of application
- You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program
- You have a legal dependent other than a spouse and you provide over one-half of his/her support
- You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18)
- You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
Yes? You are considered an Independent Student (in terms of financial aid eligibility)
No? You are considered a Dependent Student (in terms of financial aid eligibility)
To be considered an independent student, contact your counselor to discuss a dependency status change request.
Note: any change of dependency status is a professional judgement on the part of the person processing the change application. There is no guarantee of a dependency status change.