Return to Title IV

Federal aid (Pell Grant, FSEOG, Work-Study, Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS Loans) is awarded to University of Arkansas students under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire award period. When a student withdraws on or before completing 60% of the award period, a portion of their Title IV funds may need to be returned under federal regulation. A federally mandated calculation is used to determine aid eligibility and if any funds need to be returned at the time of withdrawal.

Return of Title IV (R2T4)

How much of the Title IV funds need to be returned?

The federally mandated calculation for R2T4 (the amount of federal aid funds needed to be returned by the student), is based on the time of withdrawal, the amount of aid received, and institutional charges. The purpose of the calculation is to determine the amount of federal aid that a student should receive based on the duration of enrollment during the award term. Award term is the term in which the aid is awarded and disbursed. Students remain eligible to receive a pro-rated basis until 60% of the term has passed. The calculation for students who withdraw on or after 60% of the award term has passed will result in an R2T4 amount of $0.

In what order of federal aid will my funds be returned?

Funds are returned to the Title IV programs in the following order: Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Direct Subsidized Loans, PLUS Loans, then federal grants (Pell and FSEOG) within 45 days of the student’s withdrawal date.

Federal work study eligibility is reviewed and the employer is notified without a calculation. Depending on the scenario of dates of attendance and work-study hours earned, the student may be eligible for a post-withdrawal disbursement. In this situation, the Treasurer’s Office will notify the student of the results of the calculation and possible options.

How will I know what I need to do if I withdrawal (in respect to R2T4)?

The Office of Financial Aid prepares the Return of Title IV aid calculation based on the date of withdrawal in UAConnect. If you were enrolled less than 60% of the award term, an adjustment to your financial aid award will be made through UAConnect. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of the calculation results via email.

After the Return to Title IV financial aid is adjusted per the calculation in UAConnect, a balance may be owed on institutional charges. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the Treasurer’s Office for any balance owed to the University.

Dropping All Classes

Who should I talk to before I withdraw to make an informed decision?

Students are encouraged to visit with academic advisors, student accounts, and financial aid counselors to discuss withdrawing to ensure an informed decision. The Treasurer’s Office provides institutional information regarding withdrawals.

How do I withdraw from the university?

There are two official student-initiated methods to withdraw from the university. A student must either 1) complete the withdrawal process online through the Student Center in UAConnect or 2) submit a written and signed notification to the Registrar’s Office within the appropriate term to be manually processed and entered into UAConnect.

In Help with UAConnect, go down to Official Withdrawal- Dropping All Classes for more information.

Unofficial Withdrawal and Return of Title IV

What is an unofficial withdrawal?

When a student fails to complete the official withdrawal process and cease to participate in classes, this is often referred to as an unofficial withdrawal. In terms of R2T4 and according to policy, a student is considered to have unofficially withdrawn from a term if each grade earned is either F, I, W, or a combination of these grades for each course (hour) attempted.

How is Return of Title IV determined for unofficial withdrawals?

The Return of Title IV calculation is run at the end of the semester on all students who fail to complete each of the hours attempted (F, I or W). The Office of Financial Aid will email your professors requesting the date of your last educational activity. Based on the professors' responses, a Return to Title IV calculation may be required. The Office of Financial Aid will notify you of the calculation results via email and adjust your award in UAConnect, if necessary.

After the R2T4 adjustment to your award(s), a balance may owed on institutional charges. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the Treasurer’s Office for any balance owed to the university.